Can you talk to a horse? Of COURSE! OF COURSE!

The hindrances of getting ready for a trip of any kind is real for me. It can  often can take an inordinate amount of time for me to pack. And unpack. And pack. Even for just an overnight trip, let alone a long journey.  The process is mystifying for my husband as it is for me. He can pack up in what seems like a matter of minutes, and proudly announces, 

"Done Packing!

 I'll try to brightly say, "Good for You!', while I continue to scramble around folding laundry, and move tchochkes (knick knacks) from here to there. Because that's just what my mind does sometimes.

Regardless of the stress of packing, and unpacking, I'm always  delighted to embark on a  journey to someplace new. The journey, is always as exciting to me as the destination. But it's only when we are in the car going on a roadtrip, in my seat on the train, or on a forty-five degree angle on the plane as it's taking off  that I can fully surrender to the journey. 

Just yesterday, I got back from a  train  trip to my friend Lori's  home outside of Sacramento, in the the State Capitol of Califoooooornia (a reference of course to former Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger).  As we drove downtown and it's environs, it reminded me a bit of Washington DC, but smaller and more intimate.  I could feel the excitement of being in a place where legislation and important decisions that affect us all, are made.

Within a thirty minute drive, we were in horse country. Pastures and paddocks. Horses neighing. Roosters crowing. Hawks circle the hen house by day. Coyotes prowl and howl by night.. Plenty of dragonflies zipping about too!   There was a spaciousness between homes, and an old fashioned feel. People grow their own veggies, render their own cattle. It's what's real, there.

 I was particularly moved to see "The Barn" where Lori  works. It's called, PROJECT  R.I.D.E. (Riding Instruction Designed for Education) and it's  Motto is  "Harnessing Magic to Change Lives Since 1979"-with the help of a generous community.

 It's been affiliated with the Jesse Baker School, across the path for some years now. There are horses and the staff that are  trained, and vetted, to provide recreational riding experience to the special needs students across many spectrums.  Magic happens when their lives are transformed by these gentle giants, staff, and volunteers.  Many of the students who graduate come back to volunteer.  I would imagine it's incredibly therapeutic and empowering on every level.   Yesterday was the first day of school, and we encountered some of the younger students meandering around the walking/running track. There were eager smiles and easy conversation flowing between them. They seemed happy to be back.. Lori  knew them all by name, and they were looking forward to spending time "harnessed in magic" very soon. Where were the horses, might you ask?  A few days a week  the horses get to spend a few days where they get to roam freely. Sow their wild oats, so to speak. You should see their stables. Fresh hay awaits their return, with earth toned tiles dividing their ten cubicles on one side of the enormous weather proofed area/barn/office space. I could get used to that myself, And I love what they did with the place!

What a great life these horses have, and how fortunate all these beings are to be transformed by each other.

I would have to wonder what Mr. Ed would say about this. I think he'd likely be perfect for the job.

Could you just imagine!!!

Hanging out with Lori and her family was sublime. I got to meet, feed, and scratch the withers of Dually, their thirty year old long retired quarter race horse. And yes, you read that right. Thirty. Years. Old. I had no idea horses could live that long. Apparently, it's common to 'put horses down' when they are past their prime.  What an incredible creature he is, and how lucky that he got connected to Lori. You should see how he follows her around like a giant puppy. And he seems to have great energy too. We should age all so gracefully!

We even got to make one of their families  favorite treats, Lemon Ice. Below you can even click on the refreshing recipe, check out us bathing beauties, and read more about PROJECT R.I.D.E. where magic is harnessed. I don't think I could have come up with a better motto myself.

Can you imagine the conversations these kids have with their  horses?

I would have to wonder what Mr. Ed would say?  I think he'd  be PERFECT for the job.

How do YOU, harness magic???  Or what would you imagine that would be  like for you?

Share in the comments below!


The swanky stables

Riding helmet, nestled in 'stable quarters'.
Love the double entendre here.  

Photo on the wall, as the horses were grazing elsewhere 

Boots of every size and color

Surely these horse all end up in heavenly realms

They'v all been lucky to be here...

Love grows here, and certainly goes without saying
                                                     
Lori and her thirty year old retired racehorse, "Dually".

The bathing beauties enjoying some luscious lemony goodness

Some more info about the incredible program, Project R.I.D.E>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                                                 https://www.projectride.org/about/

For a little nostalgia,  and a trip down memory lane  for those of us in our prime, and those that aren't yet familiar with the T.V. classic. Sing Along here, with the talking horse, "The Famous Mr. Ed!"..and more. You'll see...
                                             
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsuohepbVk

For Lori's Luscious Lemon Italian Ice, here's a recipe that comes pretty close:
                                             
                                                http://www.whatscookinitalianstylecuisine.com/2009/09/authentic-                                                        italian-ice.html#.UfFPP43VBsk

Last but not least, don't forget to add a comment about how you create, or would like to
create magic for yourself and others. Or anything about horses, lemon ice, or ANYTHING at all!

Thanks for stopping by!

Heidi                                      











Comments