ZayGezunt Zen and Now


At the end of each letter my Nana sent me while at camp, she'd sign it with the traditional XOXO,

Also sprawled in her cursive writing was,  Zagezunt, or Zeigezunt. Zei is the command "Be" and "Gezunt" means  health, in Yiddish.  She also would say at the end of each and every phone call.

ZeiGezunt!! (May You Be Healthy)

I used to think it's something SHE just said. It's a beautiful  blessing in Yiddish, her first language, and that of the Ashkenazy  or Eastern European Jews. And a lovely way to express care. 

I chose to take a Buddhist Meditation class as an elective to finish up my Master's in Psychology, seventeen years ago. I had heard from one of my older cousins that Buddhist Meditation helped keep him sober. I was nineteen years old when he first told me that, and I just couldn't fathom how you could practice Buddhism and Judaism at the same time.

 Years later, I understand completely why and how one could combine the practice of meditation and the discussion of the  "Dharma", which is like Buddhist Operating Instructions, or philosophy in tandem with other spiritual practices.

One evening when I accompanied my beloved teacher on our way to the restroom,  I told her that I was just diagnosed with having Attention Deficit Disorder. Not a surprise, as I always had a hard time focusing on one thing, my mind always in a swirl. (It's really more like I pay too much attention to too many things, and not enough to the 'thing' that I am  supposed be paying attention to!!)

She said casually with a wave of her hand, "Just do the Vipasanna meditation", and closed the bathroom stall behind her.

Vipasanna meditation is the practice of watching your thoughts, not completely erasing them as I once imagined.  There are many ways to center your thoughts on one thing, like your breath  as an anchor, or to pay attention to all of your senses, one at a time.

There's a reason why we are told to "Come to our senses...", because once you do, you are not just living in the swirl of your thoughts, you come into the present,  and  everything does begin to make "sense".

There are many talks and videos on how to do "Vipasanna Meditation". Below, there are a few given by Tara Brach, who has a lovely and clear way of speaking.

Yesterday's photo of a favorite spot of mine nearby at Lake Temescal in Oakland, CA. It's where  I stop and take in nature...and one of Tara's Brach's Talks, or any of the talks on http://dharmaseed.org/ where you can  peruse dozens of topics and  teachers.

Lake Temescal, Oakland CA

https://www.tarabrach.com/guided-meditation-basic-meditations/

If you  want a written version of "Metta Blessings" ( translated from Pali to English) to intentionally put into your daily 'contentment practice' you can also view that below.  This version is written by Jack Kornfied, one of the most beloved and renown teachers of mindful meditation.

https://jackkornfield.com/meditation-on-lovingkindness/

 It's taken me years to work on this practice, and it's still super helpful for me to 'hear'  or read the instructions from someone else, much like reading a prayerbook.

It's been an invaluable practice just stop and pause for a few minutes or even for a few moments throughout the day to ground myself.

I became more  aware of this truly grounding practice more than ever during my first three day silent retreat. kind of like a super long Sabbath.  In effort to keep the Sabbath for Jews, we are not allowed to perform any 'work'. This is easier said than done for us all, who are constantly 'doing' and not spending time just 'being'...without our devices(and this was BEFORE devices! Can anyone remember THAT??)

Spending a weekend in a forest monastery, without speaking, was one of the best ways to practice 'pause', and re-create a new 'default' setting. AND I was STILL Jewish at the end of the three days.

It was at that point, one of the best Sabbaths  (or Shabbatot) that I had spent as an adult.

Shortly after that, I read "Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist", by Sylvia Boorstein, who I could relate to as someone who could practice Buddhist Meditation and find her way back to deepening her Jewish practice. 

As the weekend is now approaching, and even before, I find myself trying to get myself to "press pause" on my swirling thoughts long enough to catch my breath and just b-r-e-a-t-h-e, let alone write.

As I write, and re-write this page, I remind myself to stop, look up and say these phrases to express care to myself, and others.

May I Be Content
May I live with Ease and Well Being
May I be Healthy and Strong...

to the extent that I am able

then I may proceed to others (May We AL...)

AND the phrases can be shifted and changed to meet your needs at any time!

May I be Focused.
May I be Patient
May I Pass Up that Cupcake...???

May THIS or THAT person feel better to the extent that they are able...

There are times when this feels forced, and awkward, and times that it feels just right. It could be done ANYWHERE, and especially when waiting in line, at work, at school, surrounded by your four walls at home, travelling, or even in traffic.

I just think if everyone stopped to pause, and just take an intentional breath before acting or reacting, their spirit could readjust, and things might go better for them in the next moment.

Zay-Gazunt XXOO!!!



Comments